Looking for an out-of-the-ordinary kind of activity on a Friday, or heck, Wednesday? Skip the bar scene and let the rhythm get you right here in Bend. We've got a myriad of dance studios, social dances and group dance lessons that are sure to put the swagger back in your step. Not sure where to begin? Let us help with this mini-guide to all moves spicy and nice.
Dance Studio: Dance With Travis
Types of Dances: Bolero, Waltz, Samba
Details: Social dances, group lessons and private lessons are all offered.
Dance Studio: Dance Surge
Types of Dances: West Coast Swing
Details: West Coast Swing is a modern take on the genre and can be performed to a wide range of music from top 40 to hip hop to blues. A partner is required here and flat, slick shoes are suggested. It is also BYOB! Check out their 4th Friday Swing Dance event.
Dance Studio: Latin Dance Academy
Types of Dances: Salsa, Bachata, Merengue
Dance Studio: Tango Aficionados of Bend
Types of Dances: Argentine Tango
Details: Learn basic steps here with Beginning Tango lessons and additional practice times for all levels of dancers. Every 4th Saturday of the month, feel the heat and high energy of the Milonga, a social dance that reflects a traditional night of Argentinian Tango in fancy dancing attire. No partner is required.
If you've never taken dance classes before, here are some handy tips to help make your experience a fun one:
- Dance with a wide range of people if you are in group class; it will bolster your skill and confidence.
- Dress casually and comfortably, but not too casually or comfortably.
- Make sure you are wearing the appropriate shoes for the dance you are learning.
- Shower, chew breath mints and wear deodorant as you are in close quarters with your partner.
- Say "thank you" to your dance partner.